So not only did you teach me about writing memoir, you also taught me about reading and thinking about how others write memoir. Thank you so much! Rebecca

Accepting what is to come

You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

NEW YEAR'S EVE

New Year’s Eve



With Champagne toasts
rowdy revelers
prepare for another
bright new year.

Loved ones, dear friends,
from years gone by
appear to me
at midnight.

Nostalgia
grips me in its glove.
Auld Lang Syne
evokes my tears.

This party is a wake
for the passing of time.
Celebrating is not in me.

--------Glenda Beall, 2011

6 comments:

  1. Many thanks, Glenda. As I got to the end, with my own memories, I thought maybe it's not a passing of time but a circling and recycling of time. The Auld Lang Synes are with us always, patient friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the loss of loved ones is more poignant at Christmas than the rest of the year. They're on my mind more and I miss them more - lots of memories tumbling around in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill,
    Thanks for visiting and leaving your comment. I am late responding because my computer has been in the shop. 2011 left me with bitter sweet memories but I see 2012 with new beginnings and find I am singing and experiencing happiness more than I have in several years.
    I'm getting on with the business of living.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat,
    You are so right about the memories being poignant at Christmas.
    Strangely, though, I felt sad on New Year's Eve even when I was young and had not suffered loss.
    I can't really say why. I'm glad the new year has begun and I am ready for new experiences, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, the perfect description of the event.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments in the comment box. They will not show up immediately, but will publish once I moderate them. I respond to your comments when I read them.